Learn how to make a delicious Air Fryer Victoria Sponge, a classic British cake made with layers of light sponge cake filled with jam and cream. Using an air fryer cuts down cooking time and creates a moist environment for a tender and soft cake. Try this recipe with self-raising flour, unsalted butter, caster sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, milk, strawberry jam, whipped cream, and icing sugar. Experiment with different flavors of jam or add fresh berries for a twist. Perfect for any occasion, the Air Fryer Victoria Sponge is a delightful variation of the classic recipe.
Air Fryer Victoria Sponge
The Victoria Sponge, also known as the Victoria Sandwich, is a classic British cake that has been enjoyed for generations. Traditionally baked in the oven, this delightful cake is made with layers of light sponge cake filled with jam and cream. But have you ever thought about making a Victoria Sponge in an air fryer? In this blog post, we will explore how to make a delicious Air Fryer Victoria Sponge that is just as moist and flavorful as the traditional version.
Why Use an Air Fryer?
Using an air fryer to make a Victoria Sponge offers several advantages. First and foremost, it cuts down the cooking time significantly. The hot air circulation in the air fryer ensures that the cake bakes evenly and quickly. Additionally, the air fryer creates a moist environment, resulting in a sponge cake that is tender and soft.
- 200g self-raising flour
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp milk
- Strawberry jam, for filling
- Whipped cream, for filling and topping
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your air fryer to 160°C (320°F).
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Sift the self-raising flour into the bowl and gently fold it into the mixture until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Add the milk and stir until the batter is smooth and creamy.
- Grease two 6-inch round cake pans and divide the batter evenly between them.
- Place the cake pans in the preheated air fryer and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the air fryer and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, spread a layer of strawberry jam on one cake and top with whipped cream. Place the second cake on top.
- Decorate the top of the cake with more whipped cream and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
Here are some tips and variations to consider when making your Air Fryer Victoria Sponge:
- Experiment with different flavors of jam, such as raspberry or apricot, to add a unique twist to your cake.
- Add fresh berries, such as strawberries or raspberries, to the filling for an extra burst of flavor and a touch of elegance.
- For a lighter texture, you can substitute half of the self-raising flour with cake flour.
- If you prefer a less sweet cake, reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe.
The Air Fryer Victoria Sponge is a delightful variation of the classic recipe that is sure to impress your family and friends. With its moist and tender texture, this cake is perfect for any occasion. So, why not give it a try and experience the deliciousness of an air-fried Victoria Sponge for yourself?